Africa calling: Cape to Cairo begins

Yes, the time has come to hit the road again, and this time for an extended trip along one of the most fabled and classic overland routes: Cape to Cairo across 15 East Africa nations.


I've been dreaming about this trip for a long while, but after moving to South Africa in early 2009 I sort of slipped in a dangerous comfort zone that made me procrastinate for months. Up until two weeks ago I was still unable to decide whether I should stay or go, afraid of missing out either way: on one side I had this great journey in front of me, but on the other it felt silly leaving South Africa right when the World Cup band wagon is coming to town.

In the end, unexpected and rather dramatic changes in my personal circumstances turned out to be the encouragement I needed, after which a decision was easily made. I am leaving Cape Town tomorrow, Wednesday 12 of May, and will cross the border into Zimbabwe on Friday 14, a day before my 29th birthday. What a great present, huh?

From there I'll follow a somewhat windy route via Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Somaliland, Djibouti, Eritrea, Sudan, and Egypt. Or at least this is the planned route, but I know that changes will happen along the way.
Estimated arrival time is December, then I feel I should spend winter in northern Africa or southern Europe before making my way up Italy and get back home by spring 2011.

I am working on a new publishing project while on this trip, and will soon post a link here to a new blogazine that, at least in my vision for it, will be interesting in content and cutting-edge in design.
I am travelling light this time, with no mobile phone nor laptop, and will carry only my compact camera with me. I will be uploading images on Flickr and posting the occasional update on this website, so stay tuned and keep an eye on my movements.  

Only those who risk going far, know how far they can go.  -T.S. Eliot

2 comments:

Musau Joshua | Tuesday, 11 May, 2010

God be with you Daniele. my number's +_254_717_404008. I stay in Nairobi, Cesar's friend. Let me know as soon as ur in Kenya.

Magster | Wednesday, 02 June, 2010

Bon voyage, Dani. Jamila can put you in touch with people in Malawi, Uganda and Kenya and I have a friend who lives in Rwanda, in case you need some contacts.
Take care
Magnus

Current Location: